Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Furry Friends: Why Pets are Good for your Health


I stayed home from work sick today (boo), but my little Walter (or should I say 'Nurse Walter') took good care of me. He showed me lots of attention and made sure I stayed hydrated. He even offered to whip up some chicken noodle soup for me...but hey, I didn't want to be too needy.

But all this furry attention got me wondering... Why do pets just make you feel so much better?


Here are just some of the surprising benefits of owning a pet...


Spending time with your pet elevates your serotonin and dopamine levels, chemicals associated with well-being. At the same time, it lowers your cortisol levels, a hormone associated with stress. - Kind of hard to have a panic attack when your furry friend is around!

Studies show that pet owners have lower blood pressure when undergoing stressful situations. - The cutest cure for high blood pressure on the market!

Pet-owners who've had heart attacks tend to survive much longer than those without pets. - Pets are good for your heart!

People with pets tend to find themselves in more social situations - whether at the dog park or on the street talking with other pet owners. They tend to be less isolated and have more positive interactions with others, thereby improving mood. - Furry friends get YOU more Facebook friends!

Dog owners specifically are generally more physically active and tend to be less overweight than those without pets. - Man's best friend AND best workout partner!

And last, but definitely not least, pets can be 'date magnets', getting the attention of the opposite sex and providing a conversation starter. - Who needs online dating?


And on top of that, they're just so darn cute! On that note, I will leave you with a photo montage of my main squeeze, Walter the Wondercat.







What's your furry friend's name and what's the best part about having a pet? Post a comment or a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment