Sunday, July 22, 2012

Saturday Splurge: Buttermilk Channel (Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn)

Image courtesy of idsgn.org

It's not very often that I have absolutely NOTHING to say. I can strike up a lively conversation with a rock if I have to, but I'll tell you what...

...not here. The food is so sinfully good that I keep the conversation to a minimum.


If you haven't been to Buttermilk Channel, you have to go. Maybe find a discount plane ticket (no joke). Jay Z and Beyonce frequent this place, and I'm pretty sure they'd agree with my review. 



Buttermilk Channel is one of those restaurants that is warm and welcoming from the start. I almost felt like I was back South! It's modestly decorated, but the lighting gives it a warm glow, making it perfect for a date or any special night really. Hell, you should just go alone if the mood strikes!


I went with the girls this time and we all dove head first into the sweet ambrosia they laid before us... light fluffy popovers with a glazing of sweet honey. It was almost too good to be a starter! And did I mention it was free?!?


Next up were the BBQ Oysters. For the record, I don't like oysters. But let me tell you, I may have been converted! Hallelujah! Preach, Buttermilk!




Following the oysters, we shared the Summer Market Salad, a refreshing blend of cucumbers, nectarines, radishes, red onion, lively run goat feta (hehe...whatever that is) and lime vinaigrette. I just love it when healthy things are tasty things!




Now for the entrees... make sure you sit down for this.

I had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken over cheddar waffles with savoy cabbage slaw and a maple syrup/balsamic reduction to drizzle over the top. Obviously, chicken and waffles are a staple in the South, but it's not very often you find that sort of thing in these parts! The cheddar thrown into the waffle was so yummy that I let my friends do all the talking while I sat there silently savoring every bite.


The beautiful Marissa Roy went with the Parsley-Crusted New England Hake over a warm bean salad with basil, pickled peppers and a green olive vinaigrette. Very healthy and flavorful choice! Maybe SHE should be writing the nutrition page.



Out-of-towner #1 Claire Kelly went for Caputo's Fresh Linguine, which was a glorious combination of sweet peas, pea leaves, spring onions, green garlic, fried egg and chili oil. Kudos to Claire for sharing!     ... At the end of the day, I would have stolen some bites either way.


Out-of-towner #2 and soon-to-be NYC resident Kristen Schloegel asked for a vegetarian menu, which they actually produced! Shocking! She went with the Roasted Market Vegetables, which was a beautiful combination of fresh summer vegetables, topped with a heaping pile of grilled asparagus drizzled in lemon oil and balsamic vinegar. Good call, girl!




After dinner, we were coerced into a dessert (only because every review of the restaurant mentioned it AND I am a sucker for pecans). We shared Doug's Pecan Pie Sundae. I can't even do this dessert justice by describing it, so I'm not even going to try.


If you aren't making a reservation right now, we just can't be friends. It's as simple as that.


Buttermilk Channel
524 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
718.852.8490

Two very happy girls post-dinner.

P.S. Our shoddy iPhone pictures will never do this food justice. Forgive me, Buttermilk!

2 comments:

  1. Surprisingly enough, Chicken and Waffles originated in Harlem in the 1930's during the jazz heyday. You can find this dish in a many places in city to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I forget Harlem!? Good call, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete