Sunday, September 30, 2012

Saturday Splurge: Great Jones Cafe (Manhattan, NY)

I don't know about you, but I work in an office flanked with fluorescent lighting. There's nothing I despise more in the world than fluorescent lighting. Let me tell you...between that and staring at the computer screen all day, I leave work aching to crawl into a dark hole - somewhere cozy and comfortable. Somewhere nondescript where I can sip a beer in peace and put the day's cares behind me.

Great Jones Cafe is that place for me.

There's nothing fancy about it, other than it's posh location in NoHo. It's barely even noticeable from the sidewalk. The outside is painted orange and there's an old screen door, reminiscent of the one my grandparent's had in Georgia. When you walk through the screen door, you find yourself in a room not much larger than your living room. There's a bar and a sprinkling of tables, and if you don't time it right, you just might be standing for your meal.

There's one menu for the whole establishment and you'll find it on the chalkboard on the back wall. The blackened catfish usually calls my name, but they have something for everybody, including Cajun staples such as jambalaya, gumbo and po'boys. Oh... and the wings! How could I forget the Creole wings?!! These things are hands down my absolute favorite wings in all of New York City, maybe in all the country. I'm not joking. They're the perfect mix of sweet and spicy. It's a heart attack on a plate, but if I've gotta go eventually, I'd prefer to go while chowing down on the best.

(These would also be my last meal request in prison, should I ever go, God forbid).



Great Jones Cafe is a staple in the city. It's been around as long as I have actually - since 1983! If you're in need of some comfort food, somewhere nondescript where you can enjoy your post-work freedom, Great Jones Cafe is your spot!

The place even has a jukebox. How can you say no to that?





GREAT JONES CAFE
54 Great Jones Street (between Lafayette and Bowery)
New York, NY 10012
212.674.9304
www.greatjones.com




No comments:

Post a Comment