Sunday, November 18, 2012

Saturday Splurge: M.O.B. of Brooklyn (Brooklyn, NY)

Have you ever felt really lucky? Like 'WOW, today is MY day! Hot diggity damn!". Well, that was me last weekend. Adam and I decided to try a new spot for brunch. We remembered passing it, but for the life of us (and Google Maps), we couldn't remember what it was called; therefore, we had NO idea what was on the menu. We decided to go anyway.

Just before going, I told him that if they didn't have any good greens on the menu, I was out. Like 'No way, Jose!'. If you remember, I had been reading the book Super Immunity and was a bit gung ho about working cruciferous vegetables into my diet immediately. So we strolled down to Maimonides of Brooklyn (M.O.B. for short), and wouldn't you know... they didn't just have cruciferous vegetables... they had a LOT of vegetables! It was a vegan restaurant!

Confession: a few years ago this would have turned me off. When the word vegan came up in casual conversation, I would throw up a little in my mouth. Who are these people? How can this taste good? I mean, it's undeniable that my favorite food is cheese. I just couldn't understand the lifestyle.

But these days, I'm cool with the vegan train. I'll even hop on it when given the opportunity. We all need more veggies, and these guys know how to cook them! M.O.B. is the brainchild of Cyril Aouizerate, a Frenchman who came to New York to realize his version of the American dream. He chose to name the restaurant after the universalist philosopher Maimonides after studying his works on the various health benefits of combining certain vegetables, fruits and spices. This philosophy, combined with Cyril's love for the Hip Hop movement, make M.O.B. the truly unique experience that it is today.

Though the space is open and the design definitely not overdone, M.O.B. is still an adventure for the eyes. Take the right wall for example, where French artist Louis de Torhout created 'hunting trophies' featuring fruit and vegetable victims (ie. Mr. Avocado, 2009-2010, died for guacamole), or the back wall leading to the kitchen which has been built to resemble the shape of the Brooklyn Bridge, or the beautiful back garden which gives you the feeling of being on a European patio while dining in the heart of Brooklyn.


I was already in love... then I saw the cruciferous vegetables on the menu. Hallelujah! I must be doing something right!

Of course, I went for the Iron Man M.O.B., an avant-garde pizza of sorts, topped with sauteed kale, roasted shiitake mushrooms, horseradish aioli and and parsley. I'm sure I looked like a freakazoid to the diner across from me (as they have communal tables). I shoved that M.O.B. in my mouth so fast that it made his head spin - such was my excitement!


Adam - though he wanted the Iron Man - was a good sport and got the Warming Glow M.O.B. so that we could share. Now I can't even decide which one I liked better. His was a combination of guacamole, chocolate and chili pepper roasted squash, pickled radishes and cilantro. I just couldn't get over how tasty it was AND how good for you!


We wrapped up our brunch with mint tea from Harney & Sons. Of course they would have my favorite brand of tea!! I mean, it was my lucky day after all.


I highly recommend checking M.O.B. out, even if you live outside of the neighborhood. It's worth the trek! You probably haven't seen or tasted anything like this for awhile, if ever!


Maimonides of Brooklyn (M.O.B.)
525 Atlantic Avenue (
Brooklyn, NY 11217
718.797.2555 (ext. #1)

Oh...and for my many friends in France, it's your lucky day too! They have another location in Paris!

M.O.B.
32, rue Charlot
75 003 Paris, France
01 42 77 51 05

No comments:

Post a Comment