Monday, December 10, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up: A Happy Balance

Image courtesy of carolynandersonmd.com
Maybe you've wondered why my blog is called Strictly Nutritious when a good bit of my posts are not directly related to food. I chose that name because I believe that nutrition is much more than the food you eat. Your nutrition depends on many factors that make up your lifestyle - physical activity, career, relationships and spirituality. When you're able to find a balance between these important aspects of your life (in addition to the food that you eat), then your life will be more happy, more healthy... more nutritious!

Sadly, though they help us nurture the area of relationships (hello, holiday parties), the holidays can be a bit taxing when it comes to the other areas of your life. It's pretty hard to feel spiritual when you're standing in line at Macy's with 5 trillion other impatient people and a few screaming children. I know I feel much less mindful when December hits and the subways become a bit more crowded than usual as everyone descends on New York to check out the Rockefeller Center tree or Central Park ice skating. On top of that, physical activity tends to take the back seat this month as time is limited and holiday goodies are flowing.

So what's a girl (or guy) to do?

I think the best way to have a successful holiday season is to remember to make time to nurture yourself. In other words, RELAX! The food will eventually get made, the presents will eventually get wrapped and the house will eventually clean itself (well, maybe I lied a little on this one). The important thing to remember is that your body still needs to be fed. It needs time set aside to relax. It needs time set aside to be still and recharge the battery. It needs time to remember what the holiday season is all about. 

And believe me... when you take time to nurture yourself you'll be much better equipped to do the same for others.

So what did I do this weekend? I took some time to relax and have a little fun!! A girl's gotta take her own advice every now and then!

Enjoy the pictures and remember to take a deep breath (and maybe a nap) this holiday season!

Taking in our first Brooklyn Nets basketball game at the new stadium in our neighborhood.
I don't mean to brag, but JayZ was there. I think I caught him looking at me. ;)
Documenting our great seats! Only 9 rows back. Thanks, bossman!
An early morning brunch with my bestie.
If you haven't been to Peels on Bowery for brunch, you should stop by and get a rosemary muffin. Heaven!
Walter prefers fresh, running water. What a snob!
Being the nerds that we are, we spent Saturday evening working on a puzzle. How old are we again?
Followed by some light reading straight from the Travel Essays section of B&N.
Dangerous reading for a girl that likes to travel.
Sunday morning at the Brooklyn Flea (housed in the old bank).
Check out that architecture!
If only there was a little nephew in my life to buy for. Hello, there's a ninja turtle figurine! AWESOME!
Check out these cool iPhone cases made from old vinyls.
A rainy search for brunch brought us upon this cool mural in Ft. Greene.
Rain, rain, go away!
Finally... a cozy spot at Franny's.
Followed by some marinated olives (a fan fav)...
... and a pizza (it was splurge day, ok?)!
Puzzle... complete!
Now don't we look well rested?

No comments:

Post a Comment