Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weekend Brunch: The Best Scrambled Eggs In the World!


I'm well aware that it's only Wednesday, but there's no harm in dreaming about the weekend, right? I have something really awesome to share with you and it can't wait. It may be a little narcissistic to claim that I make the best scrambled eggs in the world, but I don't care because it's the truth. I make the BEST scrambled eggs in the world. If you dig eggs, love fresh veggies and frequently find yourself in the herb aisle at the grocery store taking a whiff of fresh thyme (not that I do that or anything...), this scramble is for you.

Here's the deal... I've been scrambling eggs for a long time and naturally, I've experimented with a million combinations - from veggies to meat to cheese and back again. No matter how good the scramble is, it's a sure bet that I'm slathering the finished product with Cholula or any other hot sauce in the near vicinity. Eggs are one food I could take or leave - hence the hot sauce makeover (and if we're being honest here, I have a hot sauce addiction that is borderline problematic). 

But enough about hot sauce... let's get back to the eggs.

My man's birthday was a few weekends ago and I decided to make him brunch. A birthday brunch requires a bit of panache... something out of the ordinary... a little extra flair to show him I care. So I ravaged the fridge for some tantalizing ingredients and out came french green beans, baby bella mushrooms and fresh thyme! Simple, yet so delicious!

And because I like you, I'll share my recipe (I know, I know... what a gal!)...

Wash and finely chop a handful of french green beans. Use as many as you'd like!

Wash and roughly chop a handful of baby bella mushrooms (or buy them pre-sliced...even easier)!

In a large skillet, heat 2-3 Tbs. of virgin coconut oil over medium-high heat. Saute the green beans for 2-3 minutes before adding the mushrooms.

Now grab your spices... dried oregano, garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper flakes (optional), and sprinkle over the saute (there are no exact measurements here - use your good judgement). Once everything is cooked all the way through, add 6 beaten eggs (this will give you enough for 2 small portions - if you're really hungry, use 8 eggs).

Scramble the eggs, sprinkle with sea salt to taste and finish with a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh thyme.
Look at that beautiful scramble!

In other news... I completely failed in the baking department (I blame the recipe!). I attempted to bake chia seed quinoa muffins to go with the scramble. While the idea was good in theory, the recipe was fatally flawed and alas, my muffins were more than a bit dense. I have made a vow to myself (and now to you) to figure this one out because honestly, what a great idea!

Looking good so far...

They didn't rise like I'd expected, but I held out hope!

Yep, my gut was right... pretty on the outside, but not so tasty on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment