Monday, April 8, 2013

The Benefits of Sesame Oil (Part 2): Breath So Fresh!

Image via intomobile.com
I don't like going to the dentist. Who really does? But my problem lies in the fact that no matter how hard I work to keep my pearly whites sparkling, the dentist will always (without fail) tell me I could be doing a better job. At which point, I want to jump out of my chair, grab his shoulders and start shaking him violently (well, not violently... but sort of) screaming "I DO try! I brush twice, sometimes three times a day! I stay away from coffee and soda! You're driving me loco en la cabeza, Dentist Man!"

You see, years of this torture has worn me down. When I was little, my brother Cale and I would go to the dentist together for our cleanings. I would be scolded and he would pass with flying colors. This, by the way, didn't make a lick of sense. I was quite obsessive with my brushing, while he took less than 10 seconds to brush, flossed every blue moon and sometimes didn't EVEN brush his teeth before bed. Gross.

So... having allowed this bitterness to fester for the last two decades, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands, and that's where sesame oil comes in. Many Ayurvedic practitioners recommend oil pulling. The more I read about it, the more I felt like this was the answer I had been seeking.

Image via satmya.ie
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy that involves swishing for 10-15 minutes each day with 1 Tablespoon of organic, cold pressed sesame oil. You can do it any time of the day, but I recommend oil pulling in the morning, before you brush your teeth (cause why brush twice?). I've found that if I do it while putting my makeup on, I tend to concentrate less on the oily task at hand. You can even set your alarm so that you're not obsessed with constantly checking the clock (believe me, the first time will feel much longer than the following times).

And let me tell you... crazy things happen while all that swishing is going on! The sesame oil mixes with your saliva, giving it a lighter color and a more foamy texture. As you swish it around your teeth, gums and tongue, the lipids in the oil begin to absorb all the bacteria in your mouth and prevent toxins from sticking to the walls of your oral cavity. Once the timer goes off and the oil is now thick with bacteria, you spit it out, brush your teeth and go about your day.

I've been oil pulling for about two weeks now and I can already tell a difference. My mouth feels much fresher and my teeth are incredibly whiter (this is another added benefit)! But I knew the true test would be my trip to the dentist last week (after 5 days of oil pulling). Usually, I leave with a major jaw ache because I spent the last 45 minutes with my mouth wide open while the hygienist literally scraped the plaque off my teeth (I blame my genes) and asked me questions about my life (when will they stop with that? I CAN'T TALK WHEN YOUR HANDS ARE IN MY MOUTH)... But, I'm proud to report that this visit lasted all of 15 minutes. He was in, out, bada-bing, bada-boom.... with a resounding "Your teeth look great, ma'am!" at the end.

SHAZAM!

It's finally happened! I cracked the code! I now have teeth reflective of the tender love and care I put into them!

...and all it took was some sesame oil, dedication and a little swishy swishy!


No comments:

Post a Comment