Monday, July 1, 2013

'Merica: Land that I Love!

Image via mericans.wordpress.com
There's nothing better than an impending holiday weekend, especially when it involves firing up the grill, slappin' on a bathing suit and sipping an adult beverage among friends (preferably by a pool or other sparkling body of water). Really... is there anything better?

Fourth of July was ALWAYS one of my favorite holidays. I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta and Independence Day meant a few things... the neighborhood parade (basically, a good old-fashioned hayride sans the farm), mouthwatering BBQ from the local BBQ joint, a "family-appropriate" DJ (who spun the likes of Ricky Martin and The Backstreet Boys poolside... it was the 90's OK?) and a terribly competitive cannonball contest (which my brother won almost every year). The day was topped off with tons of fresh watermelon, a fireworks show (duh!) and usually a whoppin' sunburn (at least in my case). 

Man, just writing about it all makes me want to shout 'Merica!

This week, I'll be hitting the open road for a Midwestern Fourth as we visit Adam's family in Indiana. I have no idea what they have in store for us on this fine holiday, but I can pretty much guarantee it involves corn on the cob.

In honor of the holiday, I'll be taking a break from the blog this week, and I hope you too take a break from the computer!

There are much more important things at hand... like practicing your cannonball!

And now, a few pics from the weekend...

Our CSA share - holy whole foods, Batman!
Adam and Walter cutting some fresh herbs for dinner from our rooftop mini-garden.
The thyme smelled heavenly.
Adam whipped up a lovely brussels sprouts, radish and kohlrabi dish over quinoa.
Lounging in Prospect Park - my peaceful haven in the middle of the city.
Enjoy the holiday and I'll see you next week!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment