Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Makeover: Early Morning Affirmations

Image via legit-faith.com
Monday, we meet again. 

Do you ever find yourself facing Monday with a less-than-stellar attitude? On a Monday morning, it's not uncommon to overhear just about every customer grumbling to the barrista about their horrible fate... "Can you BELIEVE the weekend is over? I mean, wasn't it just Friday? My to-do list this week is killer. God help me". And if we're being honest here, many times that person is ME.

Bitching and moaning just seems like the American thing to do on a Monday, right?

But you know what? I'm tired of spreading the negativity around. I've done quite enough of that in my lifetime of Mondays. Instead, this week I'm going to make a conscious effort to wake up every morning and take a moment to thank God for giving me another day - another day to feel the cool fall breeze, taste a warm pumpkin latte (thank you, Starbucks!), smile at a stranger, learn something new, help someone who needs it and spread love to every person I encounter.

I've never been one for meditation. If you know me, you know that my mind is always working and it's hard for me to quiet that chaos down. But a month ago, my client and I did a 30-Day Meditation Challenge with Deepak Chopra and Oprah. It was 15 minutes of guided meditation each morning, focusing on building abundance in your relationship with yourself and others. 

Image via jianiteo.com
We meditated on affirmations. If you're not familiar with an affirmation, it's basically a positive declaration or belief. For example, if you are ill, your affirmation could be "I am a vibrant, healthy person who will live a long and happy life" OR if you are feeling unworthy of love, your affirmation could be "I am a beautiful and caring person, deserving of a healthy, uplifting relationship."

You may not believe the affirmation that you're meditating on, but that's beside the point. By meditating on an affirmation and constantly speaking that affirmation to yourself, you will begin to see how the affirmation slowly morphs into a belief. And when you believe something to be true, it will manifest itself in your life and influence your actions and your future.

So today, join me in a Monday Makeover. Speak an affirmation to yourself, then affirm others, knowing that you have been given another Monday for a reason.

Wishing you all a very blessed week!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment