Sunday, October 14, 2012

Saturday Splurge: Building on Bond (Brooklyn, NY)


I am constantly amazed at how many restaurants surround me in just Brooklyn alone. I've lived in Brooklyn for almost 3 years and have still yet to try all the local spots - plus, they keep popping up by the day, making it very hard to keep up! I've passed Building on Bond quite a few times, as it's on the same street as my old hair salon, but never stopped in. Last weekend, Adam and I decided it was time to cross it off the list. We were doing a little shopping in the neighborhood and it made perfect sense.


From the moment we walked in, I was charmed. The place had the feel of a brunch spot you might stumble upon in Colorado or the mountains of North Carolina. The decor is rustic, with beautiful wood walls, exposed ceiling pipes (painted my favorite color turquoise!) and simple, unassuming touches throughout. The waiters even traded in their normal black aprons for a simple Home Depot cotton tool belt or any old belt they brought from home. It sort of felt like a trendy twist on your grandfather's kitchen or workshop...or something to that effect!

It was the perfect day for brunch. The sun was shining. There was a slight breeze in the air, hinting at the arrival of fall, and dare I say there were a few leaves on the ground (this time of year gets me all a'flutter! can you tell?)?

We started with the usual. A coffee (milk, no sugar) for me and a hot earl gray tea for Adam. Then, after intense deliberation, we both got the same thing, which Adam considers an unacceptable dining practice. You NEVER get the same thing. I'm not even sure why he let this one slide. Maybe because it looked so good that he wasn't backing down and I wasn't about to on my end either.

What looked so good? I'm talking about the BBQ Pork Hash Benedict, a lip-smacking combination of slow-cooked pulled pork, poached eggs and chipotle hollandaise sauce. This dish was such an interesting twist on the traditional eggs benedict, which I'm usually not a fan of. I have to say, Building on Bond won me over!

If you're in the downtown Brooklyn / Boerum Hill area, you should definitely give it a little look-see! Ditch the diner and try a spot equally as comforting. And don't forget... there's great shopping in the neighborhood for walking off that heavy brunch afterwards!


BUILDING ON BOND
112 Bond Street (at Pacific Street)
Brooklyn, NY 11217
347.853.8687
www.buildingonbond.com

No comments:

Post a Comment