Thursday, March 21, 2013

Permission to Live a Little: Moderation is Best in Moderation!

Image via gymandtonic.ie
I'll be honest, last week's vacation was NOT a lesson in moderation, unless you consider drinking sauvignon blanc for breakfast 'moderation'. My breakfast of choice did, in fact, elicit some looks of disdain from my newly acquired fiancĂ©, but I felt justified in pulling the 'Napa card'. It's not every day a girl's in Napa, celebrating her engagement and visiting a long lost friend. 

But it didn't stop there. What started as a liquid breakfast turned into a brunch fit for a queen (and all her subjects). We were very liberal with our order from the start, which was a HUGE mistake because our friend Kipp in the kitchen at Farmstead, being the nice guy that he is, took it upon himself to send us even more food. Can you say 4 appetizers and a basket full of cheese biscuits before we even touched our entrees and dessert?


So, needless to say, I was one big blob on the return flight. I think I had to unbutton the top button of my jeans. Hard to remember after all that wine.

But today, instead of highlighting my gluttony, I'd like to celebrate the fact that I could actually indulge a little, sans guilt! It's so important! There are a few people in my life who NEVER indulge (don't worry, I won't be naming names). These people eat clean all the time, never have more than one glass of wine per day, exercise religiously and honestly, don't ever have any fun! 

That's no way to live!

I spend a lot of time on my blog talking about the dangers of certain lifestyle choices, whether it be food, drinks, relationships, you name it. I fear that I sometimes come off as 'holier than though'. If not that, I may seem to you like some strange freak of nature with the willpower of a saint. But I'm here to tell you that I'm not always exemplary... and that's OK!

I'm old enough (yikes! let's not talk about it!) to realize that stressing over a little indulging is only going to affect you in a negative way. Indulging makes you human. It makes you balanced. Hell, it even makes you fun! 

So as we head into the weekend, have a little fun. Your Health Coach said it's OK! 

And now, for more California pictures, made slightly more hip with the help of Instagram! It felt like the California thing to do.

Spent our first afternoon at Cavallo Point, a beautiful hotel overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge.
A lovely drive to watch the sunset and check out more views of the city.
An impromptu tour of the marina's most interesting houseboats. I would live in this one, if only for the awesome 80's art.
The breathtaking view from Marissa's house in Sausalito. I will forever be jealous.
Exploring a different (and might I say, better?) Chinatown - no handbag solicitations AND tons of room to walk.
Afternoon tea and edamame at the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park
Admiring the beautiful details of every single home. 
We went out hoping to find some seals, but they were too far away to see. Instead, I got a beach squirrel. He was pretty cute though.
A lazy afternoon nap in the park before hiking Land's End.
Our cute little AirBnB cottage in Healdsburg.
Joined a wine club at beautiful Dutcher Crossing Winery.
Being serenaded by our bartender at Lava Vine to celebrate our engagement.
We had to try out the polarized glasses they gave us for salmon sighting in the river! 
A gift from our friends at Long Meadow Ranch... I loved that the label bears my new initials!
A feast fit for a queen at Farmstead before flying back to NYC! We went from 80 degrees to 30 degrees in a matter of hours!

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I love this post! That being said...i'm going to work hard in the gym today and enjoy some ginger snaps tomorrow. Thanks for sharing...Cali looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work hard, snack hard, Mary! ;) Glad you enjoyed the post and my silly wine country antics.

      Delete