Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lime Chicken Tacos: Homemade and Healthy!


Adam likes to brag that he won me over with his lime chicken tacos. While I may laugh and roll my eyes at the hilarity of his claim, I'm here to confess that it's 100% true. 

Allow me to explain...

When I moved to New York from Atlanta, I was shocked at the lack of good Mexican food in the city, specifically queso. Because my withdrawals were so intense, Adam, being the sweet guy that he is, decided to take it upon himself to find me some queso. He led me from restaurant to restaurant, but sadly, nothing could meet my expectations. After years of hunting, we eventually gave up, and I accepted my fate - queso consumption in Atlanta only... boo.

While he failed miserably at the 'Queso Quest' (it's not your fault, Adam), he DID however find a way to fill the void - with his lime chicken tacos. Adam make the BEST lime chicken soft tacos I've ever had, and today, I'm here to share the secret recipe with you so that you too can make some guy (or girl) fall in love with you. 

Want to know what else is awesome about this recipe?

It's a piece of cake, it's foolproof and it's delicious! It's also a great way to 'clean up' the traditional Mexican meal that's packed with grease and fat! We made them this past weekend, and while we decided to splurge with a little cheese and sour cream, you could easily replace the sour cream with guacamole (for a dose of healthy fats) and ditch the cheese altogether (they will still be good, I promise!). Get creative with these! The lime chicken provides the perfect palette for your culinary creativity!

To prep, finely chop 4 cloves of garlic.
Wash and finely chop 1 bunch of cilantro.
Wash and chop 1 bunch of scallions.
Slice 2 limes in half.
Dice 1 1/2 lbs. of organic chicken breasts (this amount will feed 3-4 people).
Saute the garlic in the oil of your choice (Adam uses chipotle olive oil) over medium-high heat.
Now add the chicken and cook over high heat.
While the chicken is cooking, grab your spices - oregano, basil, sea salt and pepper.
When the chicken is slightly cooked, add all four spices to taste.
When the chicken is about halfway cooked (some pink still showing), add the scallions and cilantro.
Now add the juice of 1 lime.
Let the juice reduce down. Adam likes to move the chicken to the outside of the pan so that the juice can reduce in the center, stirring the chicken in every once in a while so that it absorbs the taste. Trust us. Once the juice is gone, let the chicken cook a minute or two before squeezing in the other lime. The pan will be so hot at this point that the second round of lime juice will soak up into the chicken much faster.
When the chicken is slightly brown, you're done!
Now heat up your tortillas (whole-wheat of course!) on a pan over the stove OR wrapped in foil in the oven on 250 degrees until warm.
Time to dress that taco! We start with organic sour cream, top with chicken, sprinkle with cheese and cover with pico de gallo (recipe here). Oh...and Chili-Garlic Cholula hot sauce (how could I forget?!).
Then of course, serve with tortilla chips and the leftover pico de gallo!

Now enjoy your Mexican fiesta and don't worry about your waistline!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment