Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday Splurge: Yan May Foot Reflexology Center

If you've learned anything about me so far, you know I like to splurge on food. Forget shopping, shows, entertainment - food takes the cake for me (no pun intended) every time. So you may be wondering what this Saturday Splurge on foot reflexology is all about, right?

Well, let me just tell you...

You've never splurged unless you've been to Chinatown for a foot rub. And by foot rub, I mean a good, honest foot rub, none of that hanky panky stuff. I'm convinced that Chinatown is an undiscovered oasis of relaxation, and the average person just doesn't know it! If you're ready to step into another dimension of bliss, forsaking your preconceived notions about Chinatown massage parlors, then listen up! Yan May Foot Reflexology Center is for you.

Adam and I decided to go for date night this week. After a friend told me about her good experience in Chinatown, I have been literally harassing Adam to take me. After reading multiple fantastic reviews on Facebook, we chose Yan May and made an appointment for an hour long foot, shoulder and neck massage package for $30 (yes, you heard me right - only $30 for an hour).

If you're fancy and only 'spa' at Bliss, this might not be the place for you. First of all, there's no privacy. You are literally in a small room with at least 4 other patrons. Thankfully, they request that everyone keep their clothes on, even for massage. Phew, that could've been awkward.

The experience begins with the neck and shoulder massage while you soak your feet in warm water. You sit upright on a padded ottoman, while your masseuse goes to town on all your knots. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that not only would he focus on my neck and shoulders, but my lower back, arms and hands as well! And though he was tough (I would compare this to a deep tissue or sports massage), it was never too much for my sensitive self to handle. He worked extremely hard on my whole upper body, leaving no knot behind.

After 20 minutes of massage, it was time for the feet. They have you lie down in a leather reclining chair, offer you green tea, cover you in towels from the neck down (for the comfort factor, I guess?) and go to town on your feet. I closed my eyes, focused on my breathing and reveled in the moment. Never have I felt so relaxed.

While lying there, I found myself concocting ways to work Yan May into my weekly budget.

It was that good.

So, if you're looking to splurge, have an extra $30 burning a hole in your pocket and suddenly find yourself on Hester Street, walk your little piggies in there and get ready for the time of your life.

Remember, Yan May is cash only and you are expected to tip 20% to your masseuse directly, so have correct change. Also, you can make appointments, but an appointment is not required.


Yan May Foot Reflexology Center
188 Hester Street
New York, NY 10013
212.219.9788

Oh... and when you're done, you can treat your stomach to some Chinese cuisine at Shanghai Cafe Deluxe, right around the corner on Mott Street. Their soup dumplings are amazing!

Shanghai Cafe Deluxe
100 Mott Street
New York, NY 10013
212.966.3988


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment