Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Boosting your Immune System in One Easy Scoop!

I spent much of my childhood in and out of the hospital. Though my mother did all she could to set me up for a lifetime of good health, I had the immune system from hell. The devil lived deep in my gut and thought it amusing to torment me via my lackluster immune system. I had terrible chronic asthma and was allergic to everything. I was the definition of a 'hot mess'.

Image via barleans.com
Though I've outgrown most of the thorns in my side, I still have to keep a close eye on my immune system. I'm constantly trying to eat and drink things that will nourish my body and give me that much needed protection from infection. Today, I'd like to tell you about Barlean's Organic Greens, a powder you can buy at any health food store. 

I'm the first to acknowledge that it's really hard to eat as many vegetables as your body needs in one day, but thankfully there are products like this one out on the market to ensure that you can easily get those veggies in. Just one scoop a day and you're in business! You can even add it to your favorite juice or smoothie, making it almost unrecognizable.

Here are just a few of the many ingredients in this product (which is Certified Organic, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free and Non-GMO): wheat grass, spinach, chlorella, spirulina, flax seed, probiotics, apples, blueberries, acai, green tea and turmeric. It only takes a quick search on Google to learn the amazing health benefits of these ingredients.

I add my daily scoop to a homemade juice. This works wonders in disguising the taste. Here's a play-by-play of my favorite juice combo - Beet/Kale/Apple/Lemon/Cucumber...

A simple but solid combo - 1 head of dinosaur kale, 2 lemons, 3 apples, 1 cucumber and 1 large beet, washed thoroughly.
No need to peel and core - just chop the apples into slices.
Do the same for the lemons - no need to remove the seeds.
Cut the cucumber in half and then into quarters.
The kale requires no work at all.
Cut the beet in half (no need to peel the outside), then cut into 1-inch chunks.
Turn the juicer on and watch the magic unfold.
A bit psychadelic, don't you think?
Add a scoop of Barlean's Organic Greens, mix well and enjoy!
Now for the health benefits of the juice alone...

BEETS - These beautiful root vegetables improve mental well-being, aid in sex hormone production, fight inflammation, protect the body's DNA, increase oxygen capacity and provide you with long-lasting energy.

KALE - This veggie superstar boosts your immune system, helps keep you regular, protects against anemia, fights inflammation and cancer, protects your bones and ensures healthy mucus membranes, skin and eyes.

APPLES - This favorite among teachers helps lower cholesterol, prevents heart disease, protects you from cancer, controls blood sugar, strengthens your bones and increases your exercise endurance.

LEMONS - These little lifesavers fight infection, boost immunity, detox the liver, act as a mild laxative, halt the growth of tumors, destroy bacteria and improve your oxygen capacity.

CUCUMBERS - These guys re-hydrate your body, fight inflammation, reduce your cholesterol levels and promote joint health. They're also useful for curing bad breath!

So as you can probably see... juicing with Barlean's Organic Greens makes me one happy girl! If you have a hard time eating a balanced diet, try working a green powder into your life. Just that small step will put you miles ahead of the rest!

For more info on juicing, click here!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment