Tuesday, December 3, 2013

RECIPE TIME: Isn't It Time To Treat Yo'Self?!


Hello, lovely readers! I am currently busy recovering from Thanksgiving travel (15+ hours in the car on Sunday... phew!) so I called up my friend Sara from Pidge's Pantry to share her favorite "oh-so-yummy" indulgences with you today! 

Ready to give that sweet tooth a run for its money?  Sara, take it away!

BY: SARA WARNER, CONTRIBUTOR

I'm honored to be back at Strictly Nutritious with you today! The first time I stopped by, I told you my story of why I changed my diet and  lifestyle to one without sugar or white starches.

But my story has changed a little, as most stories do over time. I'm still 100% sugar-free and white starch-free (and really, processed food-free), but my focus has altered a bit. I started my diet change by thinking that "sugar is the devil", but now I've become more of an evangelist for an "all-around" healthy lifestyle.

The key is moderation in all things. Yes, this is hard to say knowing that I've gone to an absolute by removing sugar from my diet - but that is what my body and my health requires. It is really in the little decisions that you make daily and also coming up with a plan that can vastly improve your health and wellness.

Now, let's apply that outlook to sugar... I think it's important to remember to plan some "treats" for yourself each day during the month that are healthier choices so that you feel satisfied when those cravings come a callin'.

It is these little choices that will help you on your way to a healthier diet that isn't just for a week or a month, but instead a lifetime!

Here are some of my favorite, easy-to-make treats!


Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
(click here for the recipe)


Almond Dark Chocolate & Date Cookie Bars
(click here for the recipe)


Peanut Butter Cup Rice Crispy Treats
(click here for the recipe)

After making these, you might find that everyone around you wants your treats instead of their own!



By day, Sara Warner is the Marketing Director for the Campus Recreation Center at Georgia Tech, but by night, she’s the voice behind the blog Pidge’s Pantry, a resource for those trying to eat healthier by implementing a 100% whole wheat and low/no sugar diet. A graduate of the University of Georgia with a double major in Broadcast News and Art History, Sara confesses that she dreams of going back to school to get her Masters and PhD so that she can become an Art History professor! In addition to her love for art, Sara finds pleasure in weekend trips to the farmer’s market and cooking for her family in the kitchen. She confesses that her favorite foods are chocolate and peanut butter, so you can be sure she features both on her blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment